Branding and consumption: hey Macklemore? can we go thrift shopping?

"I'm gonna pop some tags
Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I, I, I'm hunting, looking for a come-up
This is fucking awesome
I wear your grandad's clothes
I look incredible
I'm in this big ass coat
From that thrift shop down the road"
Song: Thrift Shop
(source: LyricFind) 
The song above is an example of branding and consumption- the topic we covered this week. 
Consumers use brands to express their personal identities. In the song above, called Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, shows how brands and consumption can be used for personal expression. 
The person in the song likes a vintage or old style of clothing. This is evident in the line "I wear your grandad's clothes/ I look incredible." These lyrics are an example of consumption being used to define and express personal identity. The whole song is about going thrift shopping and feeling great, a phenomenon that is very popular today. 
Brands know that we like to express ourselves through clothing and products. So, companies try and position their brands in order to fit into a consumers life style. If you wear Adidas constantly, you are giving people the impression that you are sporty. Adidas gears its clothing towards sporty people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis: you can't mess around!

Organisations as communication systems: The Manager's Unexpected Journey